News

‘It’s not South Africans versus Nigerians’: Family of slain Bolt driver slams xenophobic motive

Jonisayi Maromo|Published

The family of murdered Bolt driver Isaac Satlat says the 22-year-old’s killing was an act of criminality, not xenophobia.

Image: Facebook

THE family of Nigerian Bolt driver Isaac Satlat, who was murdered in his car, have slammed claims saying it was a xenophobic attack.

The 22-year-old was attacked after responding to a couple's ride request in Pretoria West last Wednesday, with the disturbing footage shared widely on social media

Speaking to broadcaster Newzroom Afrika, family spokesperson and activist Solomon Ashoms said Ashoms said: “We talked about that with his family, with his dad especially, and we came to a conclusion where we agreed no, it is a typical case that could happen to anybody. 

“Whether you are South African or not South African. It was a crime situation. There are criminals who intended to take your valuable items from you, not targeted.

“For that especially, the dad said we must make sure that this issue does not get to a place where it becomes a Nigeria versus South Africa thing.”

Ashoms also described the traumatic moment Satlat’s father had to identify his son’s body at a funeral parlour.

“The moment he identified his body, the dad was almost losing his breath. They had to immediately take him into a medical centre because his blood pressure rose to about 238,” he said.

Meanwhile, the three accused on Monday abandoned their bail application at in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court, as mense outside chanted “Justice for Isaac”.

Dikeledi Tears Phela, Gositsiane Machidi and McClaren Mushwana are facing charges of premeditated murder and aggravated robbery in connection with the fatal attack on the 22-year-old e-hailing driver in Pretoria West last week.

The trio made a brief appearance before the court, where the matter was postponed for further investigation.

Screenshot from the disturbing video circulating on social media, allegedly showing an attack on an e-hailing driver in Pretoria West. SAPS urges the public not to share the footage.

Image: Screenshot