News

E-hailing driver arrested with fraudulent licence in Parow

Murray Swart|Published

A ride-hailing driver was arrested in Parow after Metro Police allegedly found a fraudulent licence and a device believed to be capable of producing fake documents, according to the City of Cape Town.

Image: Supplied

A RIDE-HAILING driver was vasgevat in Parow after Metro Police officers busted him with a fake driver’s licence and a device allegedly capable of producing similar documents.

​According to the City, officers were on patrol in Parow at about 9.30am last Thursday, 12 February when they noticed a motorist behaving suspiciously and attempting to avoid eye contact.

​Officers conducted a traffic stop and, during an inspection, determined that the driver’s licence was fraudulent, the City stated.

​A subsequent search of the vehicle allegedly uncovered a device which, according to the City, could be used to produce fraudulent licences.

​The driver was arrested on a charge relating to the production of fraudulent documents and was detained at Parow Police Station for further investigation.

​Mayoral committee member for safety and security, JP Smith, said the arrest highlighted ongoing concerns around public transport compliance.

​Smith said: “Reliable public transport is essential for the City’s economic development, and while there are many challenges, incompetent, unfit, and unlicensed drivers should not be one of those challenges. Our officers will continue to patrol, check, and arrest drivers who put the lives of hundreds at risk.”

​The arrest comes with an intense media spotlight on the ride-hailing industry.

This is after 22-year-old Nigerian national Isaac Satlat was murdered in Pretoria West last week.

Four suspects have appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court after he was attacked in the vehicle he was driving.

E-hailing platform Bolt has since confirmed Satlat was not a registered driver on their system. According to Bolt, the profile belonged to Wiseman Makobe, a registered driver with an active account on the platform.

The company said: “This constitutes profile sharing. The profile has since been permanently hard-blocked and banned from operating on the platform.”

Meanwhile, Bolt and Uber are yet to register with the new National Land Transport Amendment Act, requiring operators to display proper vehicle branding, install panic buttons, and secure licenses for both drivers and platforms.

The rules came into effect in September 2025 with the deadline now just a month away.