News Western Cape

Post-mortem doctor drama delays Qasim Burton murder trial

Kim Swartz|Published

VICTIM Qasim Burton was fatally stabbed by duo in a fight over a girl.

Image: File

THE murder trial against two ouens charged with the gruesome murder of Qasim Burton hit another snag after it was revealed that the doctor who conducted the post-mortem is no longer able to testify.

Darryl Burton and Moegamat Sedick Jappie returned to the Bellville Regional Court on Tuesday facing murder and attempted murder charges following the death of 16-year-old Qasim Burton.

Qasim was a Grade 8 learner from Voorbrug High School in Delft who died on 21 December 2019 while sleeping at a friend’s home.

He was killed following an argument over a girl with Burton (not related to the victim) and Jappie.

Qasim was stabbed multiple times and rushed to Tygerberg Hospital, where he was later declared dead. Darryl and Jappie were subsequently charged with murder and granted R1 000 bail.

The trial was expected to hear evidence from the doctor who conducted the post-mortem of the deceased, but the State prosecutor said that they were no longer working at the practice.

The court heard a document written by the investigating officer, saying: “I was told that the said doctor at the medical facility is no longer working there, and it appears that the second doctor who was assisting died during Covid-19 time.

“Therefore, the head of the department had been requested to be summoned for the next court date.”

Defence attorney Bruce Hendricks requested that the postponement be marked final and to ensure that the department head is subpoenaed.

The case was postponed to 20 April for a doctor to give evidence on the injuries the victim sustained.

ACCUSED OF MURDER Moegamat Sedick Jappie (left) and Darryl Burton (right).

Image: File