Police are hunting for the killers of three men who were gunned down in Delft on Monday night.
Cops say the incident is related to ongoing taxi violence.
The victims were wiped out on the corner of Main Road and Symphony Way.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Novela Potelwa said: “According to information from the scene, police were called to the corner of Main Road and Symphony Way in Delft after 8.30 on Monday evening.
“Upon arrival, police discovered three bodies with gunshot wounds lying on the road. One victim, aged 40, who was identified as a taxi owner, had been shot several times. Two other victims, estimated at 35 years of age, had sustained gunshot wounds to their upper bodies.”
Potelwa says the motive for the shooting incident is believed to be linked to ongoing conflict within the taxi industry.
“Members of the Provincial Taxi Task Team are investigating a shooting incident that left three men dead.”
At the end of November, six people were wounded when armed men opened fire at the busy Cape Town Station deck in the CBD.
Just hours later, another shooting claimed the lives of five people at the Nyanga terminus.
Six men were arrested in connection with the shooting at the Cape Town Station Deck and are still waiting to apply for bail.
Xolani Thafeni, Thobela Dingani, Meluxolo Pikini, Lwandiso Paul Diamond, Siyabulela Velile and Sinethemba Mngambi appeared in the Cape Town Magistrates' Court on 9 December, where they heard that the State opposed their bail application.
In total this year, there have been 92 murders believed to be related to taxi violence in the Western Cape and 51 attempted murders.
No arrests have been made in connection with Monday night’s incident.
Santaco spokesperson Gershon Geyer said they do not have information on what led to the Delft shooting and condemned the attack.
“We as Santaco are totally against this type of behaviour in the taxi industry,” he says.
“We condemn what happened and Santaco will do everything in its power to address violence in the industry and change the behaviour of our members.”
Western Cape Transport MEC Bonginkosi Madikizela and Transport Minister Fikile Mbulala have tried to quell the taxi violence by calling a taxi imbizo, where they proposed to formalise the taxi industry by giving drivers salaries, as they believe competition over taxi loads and routes lead to tension.
It is understood many drivers are given incentives instead of set salaries.
Anyone with information that could assist the investigation is urged to contact Lt Col Tarentaal on 063 617 3005.
velani.ludidi@inl.co.za